One of the biggest pains when it comes to moving your household items are those objects that are oversized. What makes them so difficult isn’t necessarily that they are too heavy; it’s just that they are so cumbersome and oversized, they make it awkward to pack and move. These include those pieces of furniture you dread having to move as well as many other cumbersome personal items.
Here, then, are back-saving tips that can save you a lot of physical pain and mental anguish when it comes to executing your next move:
- Don’t move it yourself — The easiest way to handle moving oversized objects is to simply not do it. By hiring an experienced, professional moving company, you’re saving yourself a lot of grief, as well as your back. Ask yourself how much it’s worth not to worry about all the things that go into actually moving your heavy items. Consider there are tools to help move the items, there’s the physical exertion to get the heavy objects onto the tools to move and there’s the risk that the items aren’t properly wrapped for your move.
The advantage of not having to deal with the move outweighs the cost. Professional movers are trained in how to move these oversized items. Also, they have the equipment to make the move easier that you may not have access to at any cost.
- Slide your oversized furniture — If you decide to move your own items, one of the best ways to protect yourself is to avoid picking up large, bulky items such as couches or chairs. Instead, try sliding these items across the floor and only pick up when you have to go over the bump in a doorway or hallway entry.
If your items don’t have wheels or are difficult to slide, there are items you can buy called sliders. Simply place these underneath the legs of the couch and it will make it easier to slide across the floor and into the truck. Just remember that at some point, you will have to pick it up and move it.
- Get the right equipment — Save the wear and tear on your back with the right equipment. Make sure that you have plenty of ropes and moving straps/bungee cords as well as a dolly/hand-truck and stair rollers. These items can really save you a ton of hassle.
- Disassemble — If you’re dealing with a large item such as a desk that can be taken apart and moved in pieces, then do that. Just be sure that you keep all the screws and parts labeled and together. We suggest putting the small pieces in a Ziploc bag that you can label and tape to the item itself when you are moving. But taking it apart and putting it back together again may be a better solution than hurting yourself trying to move it.
- Getting through the door — Another big issue isn’t just moving the items themselves but getting these oversized items through your doors. Anyone who has seen the episode of Friends where Ross yells at everyone to “Pivot” as they move his couch, can attest to how tricky it can be to move in tight quarters.
One suggestion is to actually remove the doors themselves. If your doors have a hinge bolt that can easily be popped out and back in again, you might want to remove them so you can gain those extra couple of inches that will help your items move through the doorway. But also, measure everything out ahead of time so you will know if you might run into any unexpected problems.
Moving Large Items with Experienced Movers Saves Time, Money and Your Back!
Moving is never a fun experience. But with the abundance of oversized and heavy items in your home, this activity can be downright painful. In order to ensure that your move is peaceful and successful, seriously consider hiring professional movers who can (literally) take the load off of you. Trust us when we say that your back and knees will thank you later on.
Save Your Back By Using Experienced, Professional Movers for Your Canadian Move
Relax and know you and all your items are safe during your move within Canada. Contact BBB-accredited Crescent Moving and Storage. By filling out a form on our website, we can give you a virtual moving quote. Moving consultations can be done over the phone or through an online video conferencing program. This limits the face-to-face contact between our staff and your family. We can provide an accurate and no-obligation estimate without coming to your house.