Many people think of themselves as packing experts, having moved their home several times in their lives. And while office moving has its own peculiar problems and issues, it is still ultimately very similar to moving a home, just on a larger scale. So, you can take some of those expert home moving tips and bring them into the realm of office moving.
Here are 5 packing tips to make your office move easier:
- Don’t overpack with heavy items — When you’re packing heavy materials (like reference books or equipment), don’t pack a lot of them into giant boxes. These are almost impossible to move. Even if you’re hiring movers, the sheer weight may break the boxes and once they’re delivered you may have to shift the boxes around to unpack them. Instead, pack heavy office items into smaller boxes. Less is more!
- Keep items together — If you’re helping Jane from Accounting pack up her office supplies, be sure to put all items in the same box. You don’t want to mix boxes across departments (or even co-workers) because then it becomes problematic to unpack. Making sure everyone gets their materials when you unpack saves time and frustration.
- Tape is your friend — When you’re packing up items that go together (like computers and the cords or cables that go with them), tape the cables to the computer. That way, if it gets unboxed, you know for a fact that those items go together and it’s easier to set up your equipment later.
- Label it — Make sure that you clearly label every single box. If an employee boxes up his or her own office, be sure their name is clearly labeled on the boxes. Once they have boxed everything, they should also label how many boxes they have. For instance, if Jane in Accounting has seven boxes, label each one “Jane’s Supplies – Accounting 1 of 7” and so on. The number of boxes helps you make sure that you have all of them when you get delivery because you can put them in her office and count quickly to see if something is missing.
- Double box it — For fragile items, such as electronics and computers, don’t be afraid to double box them. Place the item inside a packing box with bubble wrap or “popcorn” stuffing that can cushion it. But then, take that box and place it inside a second, larger box with more protective cushioning. This way, the breakable items are doubly protected. Make sure you label these as electronics and fragile while you’re at it.
If you are getting ready to move your office, then there is no need to panic. Use your moving experts on staff and these packing secrets to make the process a smooth one.
If you liked this post you will probably enjoy: 6 Tips for a smoother office move
Crescent Moving & Storage has been in business for over 40 years providing reliable, timely and safe moving services for businesses and homeowners in the Vancouver area. Find out why so many trust Crescent Moving to care for their most valuable assets. Contact us for a FREE , no-obligation Office Moving Quote