Hire a Vancouver Moving Company or Do it Yourself?
When planning a move, most of our customers will ask themselves: Should I hire a professional moving company or should I do it myself? There are many factors that play into this decision. For many people the cost of moving is a big factor. Before you assume that doing it yourself will save you money, consider this:
- How much time will it take you to pack, load and unload all of your items?
- What does it cost to rent a moving truck for your move?
- What is the fee for mileage and gas on a rented moving truck?
- Is there a fuel surcharge on the cost renting a moving truck?
- How much time will it take you to drive to your destination?
- What is your personal time worth? (Assuming that you don’t work for free – your personal time should be worth something too)
- How many friends do you have that can help you move?
- Would you like to keep these people as your friends? (Just kidding – but I do think there should be a limit on how many times you ask your friends to help you move)
- Do you have items that are irreplaceable such as antiques or delicate items of sentiment?
While hiring a professional mover may not be right for everyone, don’t assume that do it yourself moving is a more cost efficient. Keep in mind that cost can be measured not only by money but by time, stress level, physical ability and sentimental value.